30 March 2015

[Review] Pura d'or Shampoo and Conditioner

For those of you who have been following for a while, you know I have had health struggles that have led my hair to start slowly falling out. Between a lot of medication and a ton of nausea that leaves me unable to eat proper meals, my hair, skin, and nails have been suffering.

I recently did a review for a hair supplement product that has been helping, though I wanted to take things a step further with an actual shampoo.

These are the results I have gotten with the vitamins alone: 

Long and luscious!
Volume for days!

Through Brand Backer, I was given the opportunity to try some Pura d'or products. One is a shampoo that is targeted toward those with thinning and weak hair, something a girl like me jumped on really fast.

Pura d'or prides themselves on all natural products. As they said themselves, their ingredients are grown on trees, not in test tubes. Their products are also animal and environmentally friendly, something that really attracted me since I'm a nature baby raised by hippies.






Their Organic Hair Loss Prevention Shampoo boasts so many great things:

Prevents Hair Loss
Strengthens Hair
Adds Volume
All Natural and Organic
Vitamins for Hair Growth
Paraben, SLS and Gluten Free
12 DHT Blockers


Time for some science! As a huge nerd, I had so much fun looking up and learning about this!

What are DHT blockers? According to Wikipedia, DHT (dihydrotestosterone) is an androgen hormone formed when testosterone interacts with the enzyme 5-alpha reductase. This hormone is also responsible for androgenetic alopecia, which is male and female pattern hair loss, since it causes follicular miniaturization. 

So these lovely little blockers get in there and help to stop the DHT, and therefore help your hair follicles get back to how they used to be before the DHT started to ravage them with their hormonal raging. 


Since both me and my boyfriend are dealing with hair loss, we are using the product together. You should see our brushes after we shower. We joke and call it Barbie wigs, because you could probably give your doll a good human hair weave with the junk we have left behind in our shedding madness. 

I'm not completely sold on the smell of this product. It has a very herbal smell, which is exactly what I expected since it's an all natural product, it just smells almost....medicinal?  What I am sold on is the fact that it cleansed my hair with what felt like the power of a clarifying shampoo without damaging it. It washed out so easily and left my hair feeling clean, something my usual Pantene does not do. If you look at the ingredients that I have included in the bottom of the post you will see why the shampoo smells as it does - tea tree oil and a ton of other naturally derived ingredients filled with so much goodness. 



I also got their Premium Argan Oil Lavender Vanilla conditioner. 

I fell in love with the conditioner first use.

Here are the things that make it special:

99% Vegetable Based Ingredients
Manages Frizz
Enhances Shine
Argan Oil Based
Paraben, Sulfate, and Gluten Free

I love when things are made with so many natural ingredients, and have all of the nasty things that are usually in shampoos and soaps.

While I haven't seen much change in my hair yet as far as thickness or growth, the conditioner is absolutely tops. Not only does it smell nice and help me sleep better (I shower at night), but it goes on so smooth and washes out very easily. Do any of you 80's babies remember cream rinse? It's thinner than regular hair conditioner, that's what this conditioner reminds me of, cream rinse. It was quite a change going from deep conditioning every shower to this, but it was a good change. My hair was very soft and manageable after the first wash and it just keeps getting better.


I was also very impressed by how cleanly this rinses out, as well. I've had conditioners leave residue in my hair before, but not this. It came out nicely and left my hair light and free. I also have a huge problem with tangles since the ends of my hair are so dry (I really have to snip those off). I was able to brush through my hair with no issue after using this conditioner. Big bonus points in my book. 

Each bottle is said to have about a three month supply in them, though with my boyfriend and I both using the product, and both of our hair reaching the middle of our back, I imagine we will go through these bottles in half the time. 

To me, this product line is a total toot. It leaves me with soft and amazingly manageable hair. 

You can purchase these products, and more from their entire range, on the Pura D'or website, or from their store on Amazon. Both products run just under $20 a bottle. For all of the natural goodness that is packed into those products, I think that it is well worth the price!

I am going to do another post in a few more weeks that give my full results. I really don't think that just seven days is enough to give a proper result for a hair boosting product, personally.

That conditioner, though! I cannot go on enough about how much I love it. I could write a novel. 

While you're at their site, I encourage you to took at their other products. They have so many natural products that I want to buy all the things! 

As a bonus, here is a silly video of my boyfriend trying to open the shampoo. I was able to open the conditioner no problem, but the shampoo gave us a bit of a hard time and Pandora picked the perfect soundtrack. 


We eventually got it open, I just thought this was absolutely hilarious!

For those curious, here are the ingredients:



Hair Loss Prevention Therapy Shampoo: Deionized Purified Water, Decyl Glucoside (derived from natural sugar), Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine (derived from coconut), Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sufonate (derived from coconut), Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine (derived from coconut), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (derived from coconut), Polyquaternium 71 (derived from plant), Cocamide MIPA (derived from natural sugar), Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate (derived from coconut), Polyquaternium 80 (derived from plant), Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate (derived from coconut), Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree), Argania Spinosa kernel (argan oil), Biotin (Vitamin H), Nigella Sativa Oil (black seed), Phyllanthus emblica (Indian Gooseberry), Urtica dioica extract (Nettles extract), Serenoa Serrulata extract (Saw Palmetto Extract), Cedrus atlantica oil (Cedarwood oil), Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary oil), Salvia Sclarea oil (Sage Oil), Polygonum Multiflorum Root (He Shou Wu), Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon Oil), Hibiscus (Rosa Sinensis) Extract, Nicotinic Acid (Niacin), Zinc Pyrithione, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Soy Isoflavone (Non-GMO), Beta Sitosterol, Camellia sinensis (Green Tea), Sorbitan Oleate Decyglucoside Crosspolymer (Derived from natural cane sugar, non-GMO corn and olive oil), Phenoxyethanol (Mild preservative), Caprylyl, Ethylhexyl Glycerin, Hexylene Glycol and Citric Acid (derived from citrus fruits)

Lavender Vanilla Conditioner:  Deionized Purified Water, organic coconut protein (cocos nucifera), ceteareth 20 (derived from coconut), stearyl amidopropyl dimethylamine (derived from coconut), plant protein (naturally derived vegetable proteins), glycerin (100% vegetable base), Argania spinosa (argan oil), lavender extract (Lavandula Angustifolia), Vanilla Planifolia (vanilla extract), PF-64 (Paraben-free mild preservative), Retinol (vitamin A), Panthenol (Vitamin D), Tocopheryl (Vitamin E), and Citric acid (naturally derived to balance PH)

Disclosure: I received this product through Brand Backer free of cost for review purposes. I received no compensation other than the product to try. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this sounds like such a great brand! Bunch of natural ingredients and environmentally friendly are all big plus's in my book. I'm personally huge on anything argan oil so I think these would be well loved in my house, and my boyfriend has been getting really self conscious about balding a bit lately so I'll think I'll look into this for him to try! Can't wait to see your full results :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'll see more results the longer I use it. It's got tea tree oil in it, which naturally stimulates hair growth. If he's worried about balding, tell him to use a little of that in his shampoo. It's also great for dandruff!

      The more and more I use the conditioner, the more I love it. My hair tangles so bad on it's own, and that has lessened since I've started using this product. Usually it's a pile of knots after a shower, but not anymore. Even if I stop using the shampoo, the conditioner is going to be in permanent rotation in my shower!

      Delete
  2. Whoa nice!! :D it seems like a great brand! i want to try it but i dont think they sell that brand around here, not sure. need to be on the look out considering i need new shampoo and conditioner. I don't take very good care of my hair as it is, and i bleach the hell out of it so it really needs the TLC.

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are appreciated! Talk to me!

Please do not only pitch your blog - all such comments will be reported as spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...