05 May 2015

Happy Cinco de Mayo!




Happy Cinco de Mayo, guys! This is always a fun holiday for me and my mixed Mexican family, a day for spending time together and cooking, and generally drinking. I have the Patron on hand!

For those of you who aren't from here in the States or Mexico, or for those of you who don't know the meaning of Cinco De Mayo, this day celebrates the victory of the Mexican army over the French during the Franco-Mexican War. While it is primarily celebrated in Puebla, here in in the US it's more of a day to celebrate Mexican culture. 

Having been with a second generation Mexican man for the last ten years, it's a time for us to go to his father's house and spend time with him, his five sisters and their kids, and whatever random cousins show up. Depending on what day it falls on depends on how big we go. Since today is Tuesday, we may go over and have a few beers and talk and laugh for hours. 

To start this post, here is the 100 Years of Mexican Beauty video. 





Now that you know what Cinco de Mayo is, now for the fun stuff: the food!

One of my favorite meals that they make on holidays at my boyfriend's dad's house is pozole. 

Source: www.weheartfood.com
Doesn't that look delicious? 

And what's better is it's really easy to make. 

While I don't eat cilantro on mine, I like to have avocado, lime squeezed in, and I eat it with tostada shells. 

It's a complete meal in itself with chicken and hominy being the stars of the show. 

Word of warning: don't get it on your clothes! When my sister in law makes it, the broth will stain your clothes red and it's almost impossible to get out!


Do you and your family celebrate? If you do, what do you do? 

Have a happy and safe Cinco de Mayo!



4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of pozole before but it looks delicious! I've been wanting to try new foods lately since I'm getting pretty tired of being a picky eater these days so I'd love to give it a taste. Unfortunately, I had to work all day this Cinco de Mayo so I didn't get a chance to celebrate this year :(

    lizzyxfresh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good. If you like a good chili taste without a lot of the heat, it's a great meal. If you want to make it, just search red pozole.

      For once, my boyfriend didn't have to work. I thought I had a doctor's appointment, but had the wrong date. No big, we had a great time together!

      Delete
  2. I never knew of this holiday, I learned something new today! =) The food looks delicious.

    www.sweet-honeydew.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really fun holiday to celebrate, especially with family! It tends to be more of an American thing, an excuse to get together and drink XD

      Delete

Any and all comments are appreciated! Talk to me!

Please do not only pitch your blog - all such comments will be reported as spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...