26 June 2015

Sunburn Solutions From Wishtrend + Sun Safety

Summer is officially here! (At least according to a calender, it's been summer in Florida since....I don't recall having a winter!) For the next few months it will be hot days filled with outdoor activities like going to the beach or the zoo and family gatherings.

One of the biggest worries I have about summer is sunburn and sun damage. I am very fair, and twenty minutes in the sun will leave me looking like Mr. Krabs from Spongebob Square Pants. 



Wishtrend to the rescue!

Always on top of each season, Wistrend has released a Sol-Kit, which is a sunburn/after sun care kit. This is perfect for all skin types and will help to care for your poor sunburned skin with ingredients like aloe and vitamin e. 


In this kit you'll get four full sized products to pamper your skin and bring back moisture, as well as soothe. 




This toner brings the best of nature to return moisture to your skin as well as sooth and calm with concentrated Centella asiatica leaf water. 

It is completely free of parabens and dyes, which is good news for those with sensitive skin. 

Just apply to a cotton pad and apply to your face morning and night to rejuvenate your tired skin. 





This product is made with aloe vera for super hydration. 

Aloe has always been a standard for me since I have aloe plants and make my own gel, but this takes away all of the effort and time making my own, it saves me the unnatural ingredients of buying after sun gels from the drug store, and won't leave you with a sticky residue. 


After you've toned and soothed, get that extra boost of moisturizer with  COSRX Aloe Vera Oil-Free Moisture Cream.


This is a fantastic cream that is made not only for your face, but other areas of your body. 

Being oil-free, it will moisturize without making your skin extra greasy. 

Just like the gel, this moisture cream will help your skin to recover from being in the sun by adding extra hydration and soothing your skin. 

Anywhere that you have dry skin you can apply this cream. 



For special care, the kit also includes Papa recipe White Flower Clear Up 8% AHA Gel.


What does this gel do?

The AHA in the gel is an exfoliant. This will remove the dead skin cells left behind after a sunburn and help to replenish them.

It's also a whitening cream, full of natural ingredients.

Sunburn is notorious for leaving dark spots and freckles. My shoulders are actually covered with them from a bad sunburn I got when I was 12 or 13. I will be purchasing some of this for use on my shoulders!


This box is an amazing value at $49.30. If you bought all of these items individually it would come out to $64.50. That's $15 in savings!



Living in a subtropical climate, we've been taught about sun safety from elementary school on. I think the only other country I've ever heard of that does that is Australia.

It's extremely important to take care of yourself if you're going to be out in the sun, from going to the beach to exercising, or even doing garden work.



Vonnie's tips for staying safe in the sun: 

1. Slip, slap, slop

This is one of the first things I always remember being taught as a child.

Slip on a t-shirt.

Slap on a hat.

Slop on sunscreen.

Most of the children in my school had this memorized by the time we left the fifth grade for middle school.

This is a fantastic method to keep yourself safe in the sun. If you can find the sun protecting clothing, that's even better. You can generally find this type of clothing at sporting goods stores in all sorts of different styles.

It's not uncommon for me to carry a parasol to keep myself safe when I'm outside taking an afternoon walk or spending time outside with my dogs.



2. Stay hydrated

With temperatures rising as high as 46C (115F) in the shade, it's incredibly important to stay hydrated to avoid things like heat stroke.

I've suffered from heat related illnesses before, and they are extremely painful.

Even if you don't feel thirsty, keep something like water or coconut water handy and drink it very often. We also buy a lot of sports drinks like Gatorade.

Some signs of heat exhaustion are:
- confusion
- dizziness
- fainting
- dark colored urine
- fatigue
- headache
- nausea
- muscle cramps
- pale skin
- profuse sweating
- tachycardia (rapid heart beat)

If you start to feel any of these symptoms, get inside immediately, preferably into an air conditioned room. Drink plenty of fluids, and use cool packs if needed. If these measures do not help, seek emergency attention as soon as possible.

My savior when I had heat exhaustion was Pedialyte, a drink designed for children that is chock full of electrolytes to help replenish the things that are lost during things like diarrhea. Walgreens brand strawberry tastes the best, btw.




3. Wear a good sunscreen

Sunscreen is an absolute must, not only for your face but the rest of your body.

I prefer Innisfree for sunscreen or the L'Oreal spray on sunscreen.

I recommend choosing a sunscreen or sunblock that is 30SPF or higher. Personally, I prefer 50SPF because of how fair my skin is.

Also, don't forget to reapply frequently!

After my sun sickness, a friend of mine recommended reapplying at least once every hour I'm outside. She went by the SPF. Say she chose an SPF 30. She would reapply her sunscreen ever 30 minutes if we were outside in the sun for any length of time.

I'm not sure if there is a scientific basis behind this, but since I have been reapplying once an hour (because of my SPF 50) I haven't had a terrible sunburn in years.



4. Don't forget your eyes!

Your eyes need protection, too!

You don't have to pay a ton of money to get a pair of sunglasses with UV protection.

There are many pairs of sunglasses on the market that have UV protection built right into their lenses. 

I've even found sunglasses at the dollar store that have a UV protection sticker.

I wear prescription glasses, so whenever I go get my glasses done I also get sunglasses and have the UV and polarization added. It's good for my eyes, and I can see!



5. Don't forget places like your ears

One of the things I've noticed is people seem to forget about body parts like the ears.

Let me tell you a quick story:

The dean of my college has traveled the world. He's been everywhere from the pyramids of Egypt to touring The Great Wall in China.

He did what he could to take care of his skin, but neglected his ears.

From all of the years of abuse, he eventually developed a melanoma on his ear.

If not taken care of, melanoma can be deadly. There is a high chance that it can be fatal. It moves quickly.

He now has a piece of the top of his ear missing because they simply cut the cancer out.

Since that story I have been very diligent with where I apply my sunscreen.

Take care of dem ears!



6. Just because it's cloudy doesn't mean you can neglect your sun care

Some of the worst sunburns I've ever gotten have been on cloudy days.

It's only natural to think that you're a little safer due to cloud cover.

Big mistake.

UV rays can actually be enhanced by cloud cover, causing more damage than you'd imagine.

Don't forget to put something on your skin as you go out. Clouds aren't protecting you from the harmful rays.

Pretend that stop sign is UVA and UVB rays.


7. Choose a broad spectrum sunscreen

It's best to get a sunscreen that is broad spectrum because it protects you from both harmful UVA and UVB rays.

Here's a simple breakdown: UVA is harmful in the fact it causes the skin to age prematurely, and UVB is what causes burns.

Pretty simple, huh?

UVA penetrates the first layer of skin and attacks the dermis, which is the deepest and thickest layer of skin. These rays can damage the tissue and cause everything from premature aging to lowered immune system to cancer.

UVB, on the other hand, just touches the top layer of your skin. While the burns may only be superficial (only on the surface), repeated burns can cause permanent damage. One blistering sunburn when you're a child or a teenager doubles your chances of getting melanoma later in life. If you have multiple blistering burns, this chance increases even more.

It's a very scary reality that can be easily prevented by having a proper sun care routine that you stick with.

Don't be like Stewie.



Hopefully we will all have a safe summer if we all practice safety out in the sun!

What are your favorite summer sun tips?


Don't forget to subscribe and comment! I love reading everything your comments ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any and all comments are appreciated! Talk to me!

Please do not only pitch your blog - all such comments will be reported as spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...