13 October 2015

How Do You Glow?

With summer at an official end and fall moving in upon us, keeping that summer glowing skin may be a concern for some.

My pale butt never has a summer glow - I prefer to call it nuclear winter!



I use a combination of diet, exercise, and skin care to keep my skin looking it's best.




Healthy Skin From the Inside Out

1. Drink LOTS of water. 

My biggest tip for glowing skin is drinking a lot of water. 

I mean a lot.

I have a liter bottle that I fill, and my personal goal is to drink at least three or four liters of water a day. 

Keep in mind that I do not drink soda or other drinks, just water after I have my morning coffee. I drink so much water I feel like this. 


Ok, time to get sciencey. 

Your body is made up of up to 75% water. It's essential for your body to function in every system, from digestion to keeping your brain healthy. 

Getting enough water helps your skin at the cellular level. When you're properly hydrated your cells are functioning at their best and regenerate at their best. This goes for your entire body, not just your skin. Having your skin glow is just a happy side effect!

Time to get a little TMI - how do you know that you're drinking enough? 

Look at your pee. Yes, your pee. 

If it's bright yellow, you don't have enough water in your system and are possibly dehydrated. The goal is to have it the color of lime juice. Not quite clear (which can mean your too hydrated), but not quite the color of apple juice. 

Everyone has their own amount of water they need. Just monitor your body and make sure you get the water that you need!

(Note: Don't overdo it on the water. It's completely possible to essentially poison yourself. This is called water intoxication and it can kill you.) 


2. Eat the right foods

A proper diet is essential for your skin. 

Personally, I like to eat a lot of fresh foods and I like to eat clean (less processed foods than processed). 

When you eat the proper foods you get all of the vitamins you need, which are essential to cellular growth just like drinking water. 

The way I like to make sure I'm getting everything I need is by eating five different colored fruits and veggies per day. By eating each different color you are providing your body with a huge range of nutrients that your body needs to be it's best. 



Bodyecology provides a great example of the different options you have for eating the rainbow

Lately, I've been scouring Aloha for recipes. One recipe that stuck out to me is the Lemon Avocado Soba Noodles. I love noodles a little too much, and I also love avocado, so this recipe was a holy grail for me. Avocado is full of healthy fats and it tastes damn good. You can also substitute soba for your noodle of choice. I prefer to eat gluten free whenever possible (all going back to my still undiagnosed GI issue) so rice noodles are my choice substitute. They also look really neat when cooked. 

If eating like a rabbit isn't your jam, vitamins will be a savior. 

In addition to recipes, you can also find a ton of supplements at Aloha. I like to go to my local health food store. Some people get excited when they go to buy clothes or makeup, but I am a kid in a candy store in my vitamin store. 

I take a multivitamin as well as an extra vitamin B (which is good for the metabolism and helps fight the fatigue that comes with my condition), Vitamin D (for mah bones since I don't do dairy in polite company), and dong quai for reproductive health (another warning - don't take this if you are pregnant or think you might be pregnant).  I like to drink turmeric tea for inflammation because my joints are screwed up, as well as ginger tea on occasion. 

I say find your own perfect blend of vitamins if it is your think. Those are just the things that work best for me. Every body is different and my routine might not work for you since I tend to target mine toward the specific problems that I have with my bod.

3. Exercise



Since I've fallen ill, I've made sure to keep exercise in my daily schedule of activities.

My preferred exercises are yoga and biking. 

I like yoga to help relieve the symptoms of my joint pain. It also helps with my back pain.  

How does this help my skin? 

Sweating frees your body of toxins, and you'll also burn calories (the obvious). It also gets your blood flowing. The extra blood flow to the different parts of your body will help with cellular regeneration. 

I aim for half an hour every day for yoga, and I like to bike for as long as I can at least three times a week. With how hot it's been lately it's been almost impossible without me getting too fatigued too fast. My fatigue has also gotten worse lately so I haven't been able to bike more than ten to fifteen minutes. 

Either way, I like to put in some physical activity to keep myself healthy.


The Skincare

Another way I accomplish my skin is by taking care of it.

I am thirty years old and I look nothing like most of my peers, who are covered in wrinkles and other skin issues. My biggest issue is large pores, which is easily solved with a little bit of makeup. Otherwise my skincare routine has led me to look much younger than I actually am, I feel. Either that or it's just damn good genetics - my sister doesn't look 36. Genetic lottery, yeah!


1. Cleansing

If anything, the least you need to do to keep your skin in tip top shape is cleanse it.

The environment around us is full of toxins and other gross things that will ravage your skin.

Going to sleep in your makeup is one of the worst things you can do. It leads to blocked pores and nasty breakouts. If you've never had cystic acne thank your lucky stars - going to sleep with product on my face tends to make me have mountain sized cystic breakouts on my chin and cheeks.

To keep my face clean I have an entire arsenal of stuff that I use. If you follow me on insta, you've gotten a preview of the items that I use.

My first step is always a cleansing oil. This removes all of your makeup and any impurities that you may have collected on your skin during the day.


Jojoba is a fantastic oil to remove makeup, though I prefer to use the DHC Deep Cleansing Oil.


Yes, it does seem a little counterproductive to use an oil as a cleanser. Using a cleansing oil will dissolve your makeup and give your other cleanser an easier time. 

After this, I use varying cleansers depending on what my face needs at the time. 


I am totally in love with the Wonder Pore line from Etude House.

This claims to be a seven in one. So far I haven't noticed any minimizing of pores though it does leave my skin baby soft and ready for the next steps of my skincare routine. It also tingles a little bit which makes me feel like it's working and cleaning all of the gunk out of my pores.

I also use Lancome Creme Mousse Comfort, which is a cream based cleanser with all sorts of moisturizers in it. 


It smells like roses, another perk. I use this when my skin needs a little more babying. 

My other go to product is from Garnier. Their Clean + Blackhead Eliminating Scrub works wonders on my skin when it's that time of the month.


It has salicylic acid, which can be harsh to some people, so be careful. It has micro beads with charcoal and it will blast any zits and blackheads within a few days of using it. I love the way my skin feels afterward, so soft. 


2. Toner
For me, toner is an essential part of my skin routine. It gets anything that your cleanser may have missed, or any residue that's been left behind.

The Wonder Pore Freshener from Etude House has been my jam lately. It makes my skin tingle in the best way! I love the way it makes my nose tingle, like it's really getting in there and getting rid of any skin impurities.


This is the only part of my skincare routine that I don't have a ton of different variations for - I love this freshener so much. 

3. Serums and Creams

Depending on how my skin is acting at the time, I have several different products that I use.

My current favorite is the Chica y Chico Beta Salic cream, which is a chemical exfoliator.


I put this on at night before my moisturizer. Within a week I could tell a difference in my skin tone as well as a reduction my acne. My skin is so much smoother when I use this on a regular basis. 

I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing me rave about this product but it has gained holy grail status in my skincare routine. 

4. Moisturizer

I always end my routine with a good moisturizer, morning and night.

Just like everything else I have a slew of moisturizers that I use depending on situation.

Right now, with the heat here in Florida, I've been using the Holika Holika Aqua Fantasy Cream, which is more of a gel type rather than a cream.


For when my skin is dryer and needs more moisture, I use Tatcha's Supple Moisture Rich Silk Cream. 

Sometimes I'll just use a sunscreen.

For an extra boost of moisture, I also like to use sheet masks before my final two skincare steps. 


The Makeup

Sometimes, even with all of the steps I've listed above, my skin doesn't always look like it's in tip top shape. Between illness ravaging my body, and running around two teenage kids and a preteen I can look really busted. Busted.

To help on days where I just look ratchet I have a makeup routine that will make my skin look fresh.

I won't lie - I use primarily Etude House products because I'm a total Etude House whore.

I always start with a good primer. Lately I've been using Etude House's Beauty Shot Face Blur.


It does a great job at prepping my skin for makeup, and it smells damn good to boot. It reminds me of the smell of the Dove pink soap that my grandmother used to get for me. So good! Almost like baby powder. 

I go between two foundations right now - the Dinoplatz Multibox from Too Cool for School and the Etude House Precious Mineral Any Cushion Pearl Aura. 


The Pearl Aura really makes your skin glow thanks to the highlighters right inside. One word of warning is it will make your skin glow too much if you use too much of the white parts and not enough of the color from the surrounding cushion. My sister says that it makes me look a little purple if I'm not careful. 

It can also be a little greasy so I always follow up with an oil blotting sheet once the makeup has completely set. 

I also like to follow with a blush. 


This is from It's Skin Babyface line. It's a very light pink that gives me just enough of a blush without looking unnatural. 


So those are the ins and outs of my skin!

What are your secrets to keeping your skin glowing and beautiful? 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Any and all comments are appreciated! Talk to me!

Please do not only pitch your blog - all such comments will be reported as spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...